FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: 13 NOVEMBER, 2019
Urban Music People (UMP) is pleased to announce general public that, this year it has established a new voting process for awardees.
This year, UMP has a voting college comprising;
1) Major Media Institutions,
2) Music festivals
3) Live venues/Clubs
4) College Entertainment Committees
5) Popular Vote (through social media).
Each of the five categories vote will have equal weight. An auditing firm will help to aggregate the results.
Section A: MUSIC AWARDS:
Voting College System – an innovative voting process has been put in place to enhance transparency and rigor in selection of UMP Awards. Music Nominations is now open to the general public.
1. Institutionalization of voting system – two steps: both Nominations and final voting)
2. Voting Membership to go to bodies or entities aligned with urban music industry:
• Media institutions (national print and electronic)
• Entertainment committees of major colleges
• Music Festivals (major, annual)
• Clubs (major ones; based in cities)
• Popular vote (through social media)
3. Each voting member will have 1 voting entry in both steps
4. The results will be collated by UMP Executive (with an external auditor) and reviewed endorsed by a major musician body.
5. Nominees will be announced on 30 November at a nominations party to be held in Lilongwe.
Section B: MEDIA AWARDS:
1. Once step process – Voting college members to submit their proposed final
2. The results will be collated by UMP Executive (with an external auditor) and reviewed/endorsed by a major media body.
Section C: FASHION AWARDS:
1. Two-step process – Nominations and final voting
(a). A panel of 5 judges has been selected – active experts in Malawi fashion
(b). Popular vote (social media) will contribute the voting entry.
2. The results will be collated by UMP Executive (with an external auditor).
1. Fashion Designer of the year
2. Model of the year – Male and Female
3. Best New fashion Designer
4. Fashion Icon of the Year (Ben Wandawanda)
5. Most Fashionable Celebrity – Male and Female
6. Living Legend (To be announced – specially selected)
1. Artist of the Year – Male and Female
2. Song of the Year
3. Music Video of the Year
4. Best Duo/Group
5. Producer of the Year
7. Lifetime Achievement (To be announced – specially selected)
1. TV Personality of the Year
2. Best Radio DJ/Presenter
3. Best Club DJ – Male and Female
4. Best Photographer
5. Best Graphic Designer
6. Best Print Journalist – Male and Female
The 2019 UMP Awards ceremony will be held on Saturday, 14 December at Crossroads Hotels in Blantyre.
For more details please contact: 0888579579
Follow us on social media:
Facebook: UMP Awards